Feehan Hall/St. Michael’s Annunciation/Galena Art and Recreation Center: 413 S. Bench St.
1886. Until the 1960s, this building served thousands of students as the school for St. Michael’s parish. Today, the building serves the Galena Art & Recreation Center, which is a private, non-profit organization, focused on creating a respectful environment in which the community can come together to learn and grow.
Galena High School Steps
This stairway, originally wooden, has been in this location since the 1850s. In addition to hilltop residents, these stairs served hundreds of students who attended the Old Galena High School, which overlooks Galena on the top of the hill. Today, the building serves as condominiums.
Dr. Horatio Newhall House/ Miller & Steinke Funeral Home: 235 S. Bench St.
1848. This building served as the home of Galena’s foremost physician, Dr. Horatio Newhall. Its use as a funeral home goes back over 80 years.
St. Michael Catholic Church: 227 S. Bench St. 1856. The current church was built after the previous building burnt down. The building was designed and the parish was established by Father Samuel Mazzuchelli. St. Michael’s Parish was made up largely of Irish working class families. Daniel A. Barrows House/Galena Historical Society & U. S. Grant Museum.
1858. Designed by architect William Dennison, who also designed U. S. Grant’s home, this residence was home to Daniel A. Barrows and his family. Barrows was a prominent business man, owning a confectionery store, distillery and lumberyard. Barrows was also a Republican, and Lincoln supporter, which led to his front window being smashed by rocks during a Democratic rally on Bench Street in 1864.
In 1938, the city purchased the building and used the front two rooms as city hall until 1967. Today, the building houses the Galena-Jo Daviess County Historical Society & U. S. Grant Museum.
First United Methodist Church: 125 S. Bench St. 1857. This church was built and designed by architect Oliver Marble. Upon their arrival in 1860, Ulysses S. Grant and his family worshipped here. The stairway on the left side of the church leads up to the hill towards Grant’s pre-war residence at 121 S. High St.
Turner Hall: 312 1/2 N. Main St.
1874. Constructed by the local Turner Society, Turner Hall was to serve as a public hall for lectures, theater, rallies and events. In 1926, the hall was gutted by fire, but then rebuilt. Many famous visitors have been to Turner Hall, including William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt.